Tis the Season…for social media prototypes

Here at the d.school, our holiday elves are hard at work on some new social media prototypes. Our goal? To help create engaging conversations about design thinking and make connections between design thinkers (that’s you!).

So, in that spirit, tell us how you’re prototyping your way through the holidays this year. Comment on what prototypes you’re working on, holiday-related or not. One lucky commenter will win their very own d.school notebook. Happy holidays!

14 Responses

1. Enrique Allen
    Enrique Allen November 24, 2009 at 4:23 pm |

Well, this Thanksgiving, my goal is to prototype a map visualization of my family. I’m not sure what aspect I’m focusing on until I start with some empathy/need finding!

2. Ahmet Emre Acar
    Ahmet Emre Acar November 24, 2009 at 4:32 pm |

we are working on prototypes to boost the perception of climate change. it is the warmest recorded november in berlin right now, so we are using the time to prepare for copenhagen

3. stanforddschool
    stanforddschool November 24, 2009 at 4:35 pm |

Wow, Ahmet! That’s fantastic.
    Great job, Enrique! Nothing goes better than mashed potatoes and empathy. 🙂

4. www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513410080

I’m excited to hear what everyone’s working on!
    I’m readying the launch of a new social network that takes the concept of Twitter and applies it to music. The idea is that your friends and other people are probably better indicators of what kind of music you might like than algorithms (which are based on people anyways, but with a delay).
    I’m also working on some fun projects for our clients that include ways to better engage consumers with their health, possibilities to create better experiences for students, and ways to use design to spark conversations.

5. John Shinozaki
    John Shinozaki November 24, 2009 at 5:24 pm |

Team PASTA! (Paris + Stanford grads) in ME310 is innovating a home device for social networking. We’re like a start up group with funding, space in the design loft, a wiki to collaborate internationally and an endless supply of redbull!!! One month has past and we have already gone through one intense iteration of…are you ready?…interviewing users, patent searching, benchmarking, extreme whiteboard brainstorming, prototyping and testing, and wait!!! We haven’t forgot to debrief. We do lots and lots of debriefing to improve our process and keep everyone – all 7 of us, in two different countries – on the same page!
    Right now we’re headed in the direction of media streaming devices and trying to figure out the best way to interact with them. The Stanford team is focusing on the device form and function, while the Paris team is focusing on the ambiance of social networking. Our approach is “bias toward action” and always be user-centered.
    If you want to take a sneak peek of the actions, find us on facebook at “Social Media Innovation from Stanford to Paris.” We’ve got photos!
    Happy Thanksgiving from PASTA!!

6. grace hawthorne
    grace hawthorne November 24, 2009 at 7:38 pm |

My family had to abort our annual Thanksgiving pilgrimage to LA at the last minute and will NOT be enjoying my brother’s legendary deep fried turkey…which means I’m going to prototype a deep fried alternative on Thursday: BBQ smoked for the crispiness -then- oven slow baked for tenderness turkey. I hope it works!

7. Jfkeefe
    Jfkeefe November 25, 2009 at 11:35 am |

We’re prototyping new interactive tools (and a platform for running them) for public radio and television organizations that want to link audiences but don’t have simple, solid tools to do so.
    Our first sketch is right here:
    Many more to come in the next few weeks!

8. Jfkeefe
    Jfkeefe November 25, 2009 at 11:38 am |

Whoops! Think my video embed didn’t work. Here’s the link to the mapping tool prototype: http://bit.ly/maptool

9. Joel Sadler
    Joel Sadler November 25, 2009 at 6:40 pm |

We are prototyping ways to eat as much turkey as possible without physical or physiological harm.
    We are also looking at placing cell phones inside of unlikely objects to allow them to communicate more emotionally.
    Our thanksgiving goal is to make our turkey both internet aware and delicious.

10. Andrew Nash
    Andrew Nash November 27, 2009 at 3:24 pm |

I am working on on a project that uses social networking to help improve citizen participation in the transportation planning process. We are trying to develop a prototype application to test in helping plan and design the California high speed rail system on the San Francisco Peninsula.
    Here’s a link to the proposal: http://www.andynash.com/nash-publications/p2p-CSS2-27nov09.pdf
    We will use social applications to create groups that can collaborate effectively in project planning and design. We are looking for good ideas!

11. Thomas Both
    Thomas Both November 28, 2009 at 12:44 pm |

@jfkeefe —
    I like this idea for radio stations to better gather content from listeners/users.
    I’m sure it can be taken beyond radio and TV. I am thinking the concept (does it already exist?) of getting semi-custom widgets without having to know too much HTML is great. Perhaps I want to map all the cool design stores in the city — Could I get a widget that allows people to add to the list/map. I want to think more about possibilities for this template-to-code-to-widget concept.

12. Xanthe Matychak
    Xanthe Matychak November 29, 2009 at 3:09 pm |

At RIT we are working on a people-project finder. It’s kind of like facebook for people who are doing really cool stuff.

13. stanforddschool
    stanforddschool December 1, 2009 at 6:41 pm |

Thanks so much for sharing your holiday prototypes with us, everyone! We love hearing what you’re up to.
    Congrats to Patrick Widen, who was selected at random as the winner of a (semi) official d.school notebook!

14. Nick Campbell
    Nick Campbell December 5, 2009 at 8:50 pm |

I know the notebook has been given to someone already, but I wanted to provide an input anyway.
    Unlike everyone else here who’s working on ideas on tech or social networks, I’m attempting to prototype my education. To explain, I go to school at Texas A&M – Commerce, which is a satellite school for the Aggie world. My courses are based in Economics and Mathematics, but I want to explore other avenues of personal development as well. In this case, I’m attempting to supplement my courses (which could better) with studies in ideas of business, innovation, and design.
    Each month, I take a course from a design school course plan done by Ryan Jacoby of IDEO and try to fulfill the practicuum. Some of them are difficult to do, but I’m attempting them all. This is a prototype, because I’m constantly changing what I’m doing and modifying the entire process each month.
    If you want to provide feedback, I’d much appreciate it as well.Especially since I’m still in the beginning stages of it.